Sunday, November 21, 2010

Good News For People Who Already Have Bad News

The National MS Society sends out emails, about once a month, giving information on everything from coping strategies to treatment breakthroughs. I received one last week, the headline of which was "FDA Approves Drug for Socially Challenging MS Symptom." I should note that I get these emails on my phone, so I didn't get the entire subject line. All I saw at first was "FDA Approves Drug." Naturally, I got all kinds of excited. Another one?

Turns out, the drug, called Nuedexta, is for treating "uncontrollable laughing or crying." Really. I read the rest of the email in complete and total shock, not because this medication has been invented or approved, but because I had no idea that this could be a symptom. Apparently, this can also happen to people with ALS, and some other disorders. So, um, congratulations constant laughers and criers. I'm going to start taking your medication prophylactically, k?

No comments:

Post a Comment